Monday, May 6, 2013

I believe I...

5/6/13 I believe I...am really insignificant. I believe I am also really important. I believe that we all have the ability to change the world.

I'm imagining that at the moment, I am sounding painfully confusing. To begin, you need to imagine how big your city is. It could take a day to walk from one end to the other. Then, imagine how big your county is. To walk from the very outer limits of one town to the opposite end of another, could take a week, depending on where you live. Apply that knowledge to the size of your state, your country, your continent, your planet. It's humongous, and if we didn't have the modes of transportation we have today, getting anywhere would seem nearly impossible.

If Earth is so giant compared to the size of us humans, then take a look at some of the bigger planets, like Jupiter and Saturn. Vast size difference. Our sun is even bigger than that, but if you Google it, and I advise that you do, you'll find a bunch more suns that are ten times bigger. If you compare yourself to some of those almost unimaginable giant stars out there, you'll realize you're a speck. No, less than a speck. You're virtually nothing, and compared to all those other 7 billion specks right along with you, if you were just to drop dead, the universe would still happily exist without you.

To avoid being morbidly depressing, I have a silver lining. Say you were to drop dead, like the scenario above. Only in this scenario, you're zoomed in much, much closer, to, say, your hometown. Your life overlaps with dozens of other lives every day; maybe a car wouldn't have been late if you weren't driving so slow, or maybe an old woman would have fallen and broke a leg if you hadn't have picked up that glass bottle. Any way you put it, whatever you do, every action you make is a change, and that change can impact more than just your own life. Everything you say or do has the potential to alter someone for the better or the worse, and, if what you do is big enough, maybe it can even alter the world. You truly are that important. No matter what you look like, or how smart you are, or how many friends you have, you have the ability to make a choice and make change.


2 comments:

  1. That...that was so deep. *tear*

    BUT, SERIOUSLY. I liked it. Good job, Emily!

    ReplyDelete